Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Puck the Great

Two days ago, the Downey Street denizen Puck Ransom disappeared. He was a fifteen year old feline, struggling with rapid weight loss, arthritis and a host of other myriad ailments. We don't think we'll ever see him again.

Puck in December. I'm sorry I don't have a better picture.

Puck was a genial giant, in his prime a twenty pound cat that loved nothing more than to while away hours in my mother's lap. He was always eccentric. He was a runt with a funny limp at birth and was rejected from the litter by his mother; fortunately, he was adopted while still young into Ash's litter. We -- my mom, dad, Elsa, and myself -- took both Puck and Ash in as kittens when Elsa and I were still in high school. The two cats had been inseparable since, sharing both the Downey Street house and specifically my parent's bed for many years.

After the Downey Street fire, Puck and Ash lived with us for a year, and they got to meet many of our friends. Just about everyone commented on Puck's charming oddity and friendliness.

Puck had a number of endearing traits. While cats are famed for their grace, he was always an awkward creature. He would attempt to jump to a high perch and miss. He would knock down every object on a table and pretend he wasn't involved. And he would plop down legs splayed and belly up, entirely unaware he was showing a mass expanse of belly so plump he didn't have enough fur to cover it.

Puck was exceptionally sweet. As a young cat and then throughout his life, he would let his adopted sister Ash eat first every time food was served. Even as he aged -- picking up arthritis and a ghastly wart dripping from his chin -- he sought human attention throughout the house. He did always seem a bit more human than cat; I don't think he could have hunted a creature if it ran in front of his face, but he sure knew how to find the tuna bowl.

His sister Ash has been skittish for many years (since the fire), and often Puck was the only "person" she would tolerate for long. My mother did notice a peculiar sweetness between the two for the two days prior to his disappearance. They may have been saying goodbye; cats are said to know when they are going to die. Her behavior has already shifted since his disappearance; she wanders the upstairs pining for him, moaning and complaining. I can only hope she finds a little vigor and seeks companionship from my parents to fill the void.

Here's to Puck. We won't forget him.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you lost Puck. He was such a special kitty.

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad - I'm glad I got to spend my birthday weekend with him. He came and watched me take a bath in Julie's big tub. Casa de Ransom won't be the same when I return. He was very special to me and stayed with me downstairs while we were awaiting Mather's birth. (Probably because it was the warmest room in the house).

Kelly said...

I am sorry for your loss. You write beautifully.

Anonymous said...

thanks,dan. picture doesn't really do him credit though, can't see the dangly wart! Maybe your penning this feline encomium will bring him back!
He always loved the limelight. I'd love a chorus of "the cat came back, the very next day" an old nursery school song.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Dan.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Puck was a real charmer, wart and all. Your family and Ash will really miss him.

Celeste

Owen said...

I am sorry to hear that things did not turn out for the best. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for the video, posted some time back, of little Mather in her carry-seat, in which a cat crosses in the background. I couldn't find the video, but I was wondering if the cat was Puck....

Papasan said...

That was Monkey, the cat the we have here in our house. Puck lived with my parents.

Anonymous said...

I met him once. He flirted with me. Cute funny cat back then.

Emily said...

Sorry to hear that, Dan. Seems to be the season for losing old family cats.