Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sayonara Cycling

I've reached another milestone in my pregnancy progress - my gym membership is now on hold through the end of the year. I took my last indoor cycling class last night. As I told the instructor, "I'm here and I'm cycling, but I'm not cycling. I can still play along, but I keep it pretty mellow."

Since finding out I was pregnant, my gym routine went unchanged for about four months. I maintained a steady routine of weight training, indoor cycling and my favorite class... WillPower & Grace - a hybrid mix of pilates, yoga, squats and lunges. As my pregnancy progressed, I tapered-off my weight training routine and then in June the WillPower & Grace instructor headed to New York for the summer. In July, I started to replace some of my gym workouts with yoga class. Cycling was my last hold out.

I wondered just how comfortable I'd be sitting on a bike seat with my baby belly bouncing along on the long hill climbs. I stuck with it for quite a while. My first transition was raising the bike seat up, increasing the space between my legs and my growing belly. My next adjustment was moving the seat forward, closer to the handlebars, so that I could sit in a more upright position. Then came the decreased intensity. With a busy social schedule in September, and a due date in October, now seemed like the right time to freeze my membership.

So, from here on out, I'll stick to yoga and long walks for my endorphin rush!

4 comments:

Papasan said...

During the course of pregnancy I have gone to the gym exactly zero times.

Owen said...

I recommend ice cream for the endorphin rush. Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch always works for me.

Anonymous said...

you know, em, hiking up those stairs to get home must count for some of the lost gymwork! don't forget hauling laundry and groceries too. but definitely no endorphins for this stuff!
jsr

Sairbair said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed by your routine. Can I have some of that energy? You look great! Thanks for sharing your blog with us. Love, Sarah