Tuesday, August 22, 2006

She has hair!

We got another sneak peek at Miss Mather today. The ultrasound technician could see that she has hair! All of her landmark structures (skull, femur, etc.) indicate that she is growing right on schedule. She weighs 3 pounds, 5 ounces. She also had a belly full of amniotic fluid which indicates that she has learned to swallow... I thought I had been feeling some hiccups - now it's confirmed.

The midwife got a good listen at her heartbeat and he talked us through how to tell which way she is facing. She was positioned with her head down (already getting in position for the big day) and her spine in line with the right side of my body - hence all the kicking and punching on my left side. The midwife also suspects that my vertical uterine growth, from public bone up to ribs, is complete. So the rest of Mather's growth will be pushing out, instead of up.

Emily at Week 31

We're now taking bets... what color hair will Mather have? I was born with red hair. We both had blonde tresses as toddlers but obviously that didn't last - Daniel's hair turned dark brown, my hair is a hybrid shade of "honey caramel" with hints of red, blonde and brown. What color hair do you think Mather will be born with?

13 comments:

Papasan said...

My bet is on azure blue.

Anonymous said...

I say the red will prevail. Of course not if great grandma Sarah has any way to prevent it. I am totally ejoying this site and the pictures and updates. It's almost like being there.

Anonymous said...

I'll go with strawberry blonde.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about birth color but Gavin Mather, being raised in a grunge hippie neighborhood, stated (at age four), "I think I'll want blue hair when I grow up".

Owen said...

red

Anonymous said...

of course, mather's hair color will be CURLY!

Anonymous said...

what, no picture of the ultrasound?

Papasan said...

Not much to see in the latest ultrasound. She's too big to see her whole body, so you just get a bit of roundness that represents her skull.

Wasn't worth the effort to scan.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for purple. But then I see I'm not the only one who went for 'alternative' colors. I did grow up in Seattle.

Meng said...

Hm... I need more information. What color is the milkman's hair?

Momily, I love how you describe your hair color. And it fits, too! I can only say somewhere between black and jet black, with hints of coal black.

Papasan said...

I'll have you know I came up with that description for Em's hair, many years ago.

And it's easy for you to joke, since you're comfortable knowing that Little Isa has hair somewhere between black and jet black...

Momily said...

My back is holding up pretty well. I get a little sore if I stay in one position (sitting or standing) for too long. If I keep all my muscles mobile then I feel good.

Anonymous said...

excuuuuuuuse me! gray! who has GRAY hair? silvery white, ash blond even...people pay good money to get hair as not gray as mine.
mather's ringlets will be blond blond blond.