Monday, May 28, 2007

New Adventures


As some of you know, on June 8th (two days shy of my 30th birthday!) I'm stepping away from The Nature Conservancy, my employer and second home for the past seven years. I've had an incredible time at TNC; I started as a temp rearranging office furniture, followed that with a stint as receptionist, and eventually worked as Operations support for our conservation programs along California's North Coast, Sierra Nevada mountains and Klamath River basin. Anyone whose had a chance to visit the Mendocino Coast, the Feather River or Mt. Shasta knows that these are some of the most beautiful places anywhere in the country, and it was a tremendous privilege to work towards their protection.

So why leave? With Mather at such a young age, now is the perfect time for her to be home with a parent. I have the opportunity to study Library Science through San José State University, which has a largely online curriculum. I can earn a Master's Degree and raise my daughter at the same time. This is a chance I cannot pass up!


Why library science? Why be a librarian? Perhaps a quote from my application essay would be appropriate:
"Librarianship is a distinctive career path. Few professions combine the intellectual stimulation, the academic environment, and genuine public service in such a compelling way. From a personal perspective, the profession offers me a chance to combine my passions for literature, history and technology. While my career path up until now has been quite fulfilling, librarianship fulfills a sense of service and of community involvement that I aspire to."
I've thought long about where I see myself and what I want to be doing with my life. I enjoy the educational and academic setting of the library, and I'm attracted by a sense of community service. I'm also inspired by the historic legacy of the librarian -- after all, compendiums of knowledge are a defining aspect of civilization; the founding of ancient libraries by Assyrian kings and Egyptian Pharaohs were keystone events in human history.

Modern librarians use research tools unimaginable 3,200 years ago when the first known library was built. My own interest and skill with computers and in online research -- not to mention my love of books and reading -- will pay dividends in the Master's program and my future profession.

In the immediate future, I'll spend the summer Mather-tending and start school in mid-August. New adventures await!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations on your new career path! It sounds like it will be perfect for you. Here's to parents attending school while parenting little babes!

Owen said...

How long will the masters course take?

Papasan said...

It's a two year program. I should be done at the end of Spring semester 2009.

Emily said...

more excitement! congratualations! It sounds like a great move; I've got a couple friends working as librarians, one at a university and one in a local public library in Chicago and they both love it. Not to mention the extended Mather-time!

Guin said...

You make a most cogent case for your future plans. Go for it! But, does housecleaning and meal prep go with the fun and frolic you'll have with Mather?

Papasan said...

Housecleaning and meal prop are not foreign concepts to me. We have split these duties roughly evenly for years. I imagine I'll be doing a higher percentage than before, but there are some dishes I like to cook and some Emily likes to cook and I don't expect that to change.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and best of luck. It sounds like this is the perfect path for you.

Anonymous said...

well i'm downright proud of you :)

Anonymous said...

Go for it. It sounds like a great career move. Just don't forget to stop and go fishing along the way to Librarian immortality.

Bob

Papasan said...

Bob, you and I both have the summer off. Time to teach Mather how to fish.

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud and excited for you. I still say you need to combine writing with librarianship. Your narratives and commentary are mesmerizing.

day said...

Ha! You are one of many people I know who is on the path to a degree in "Information Confinement"!

I'm really amused by how this appeals to so many people I know--its a very cerebral pursuit, with an eye for the minutest detail...

Congrats! Now I just have to figure out what this says about me that I choose this type of person as my friend... lol