Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Turning Thirty

Emily has carried on my childhood tradition of apple pie for birthday breakfast.
This one was her best ever!

This past Sunday, June 10th was my 30th Birthday. As it is, gray hairs are creeping in at my temples and my knees have already creaked for a few years. So while I don't feel completely changed, it does seem like a symbolic passage, particularly since the Friday before was my last day at work. I've entered a new "era" in my life.

To celebrate the day, we invited a whole lot of friends out to Golden Gate Park for an oyster barbeque. Even die-hard vegetarian Mike, who hadn't eaten meat in 13 years, voluntarily took one oyster to show his solidarity (he turns 30 this November...).

We had a great time in the park; while the sun never quite conquered the fog, it was pleasant. Mather had a good time rolling around on a blanket and entertaining all passers by.

Thanks to everyone who made it such a special day! Extra thanks need to go out to Bob and Tina who stayed after everyone left to haul things back to our apartment, and Kim and Nabil for driving Emily and Mather home when our own car was too heavily loaded!

It may be a long time before I celebrate a birthday again -- I can't see getting excited over 31.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you did HAVE a happy birthday! And isn't turning thirty fun? Why, I've done it twice, now!

But I write to respond to your librarious aspirations.... to point out that it's in the family history. I myself was once the Circulation Supervisor at the Olive Kettering Library of Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Glad to see a tradition continuing...

We've just returned from Mexico, btw. I've enjoyed perusing the many entries I missed since I was last able to check in. Always a pleasure.

day said...

Big up on the 30! Somehow I spaced that this was your year too!

I'm getting grey too--balding faster, damn it. But, I'm running my first 50k in September and second in October! Admittedly, I dont have the wear and tear of years of rugby on me. Best to Emily and Mather!

Anonymous said...

not to be outdone by savi on the topic of librarious aspirations, my sophomore year in college i worked in the u of i library...believe i was paid something like 30 cents an hour. Sincerely hope times have changed.

Sylvia said...

Hi Dan,
Sorry we didn't make it to your bday fest. We drove all the way up to the maze for the Bay Bridge and panicked when we saw the traffic. We are so sorry! We had packed all our park gear and everything...our intentions were very noble. Anyway, hopefully you'll get our invite to a father's day baby hike picnic fest - hope to see you!
Sylvia