Friday, April 20, 2007

Maternity Leave, continued

Today was my first day at home alone with Mather since January. I am taking Mondays and Fridays off from work for the next 7 weeks. When I was originally on maternity leave immediately after Mather's birth, my salary was covered by state disability insurance. Now I am taking advantage of California's Paid Family Leave program.

It was a wonderful day, quite different from my first maternity leave. Mather is SO much better at entertaining herself now. There was maybe a total of 3 minutes of crying all day. Whereas, in the early months, she would often cry whenever she wasn't being held.

This morning, we attended a demonstration children's music class. Mather enjoyed herself. She watched attentively at the teacher and the other kids. She giggled when I used her belly as a drum and she let me tap a tambourine on her feet. However, I think we'll wait until she can crawl and interact a bit a more before enrolling her in a 10-week semester. She was much more interested in chewing on the egg shakers, rather than actually shaking them...


We took a long afternoon siesta together, then we headed off to Babies R Us to get Mather a highchair. It's actually more like a booster seat, it attaches to a normal dining chair - that way we don't have to make room for another piece of furniture in our tiny apartment. She seemed to enjoy it...

Thanks to Jaye Shupin for the suction-cup toys.

We'll get to see the chair in action tomorrow when Mather gets her first taste of rice cereal. We had to start feeding her solid food eventually. Otherwise, she might have eaten her feet...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am so glad you are going to have more time to spend with your wee one! Perhaps she is more likely to be a gymnast (reaching toes to her mouth) than musician? :)